About In August 1853 Rev. H. H. Durant and Rev. Lewis Scarborough held religious services under a brush arbor at the site of the current Balls Creek Campground. Under guidance of Methodists in the community the campmeeting and campground at Balls Creek were established in that year. Those who attended the fist campmeeting made their way to the campmeeting site along dusty dirt roads in covered wagons. They remained at the site for the duration of the campmeeting living in their covered wagon or in canvas tents. About ten or twelve families built permanent wooden structures or “tents” for the purpose of the 1853 services. Campmeeting has been held each year in August since it's formation.